Patriotism means love and devotion to one's country. There are many ways to show patriotism, so it is important to make sure kids understand the basics.
- Define patriotism in their language
- Learn about the American flag, look for flags in your town, and learn how to fold a flag
- Invite a veteran to talk to your child and share stories from their past.
- Read the Declaration of Independence to your child. Have him pretend he is starting his own country. Tell him to and try writing his own Declaration of Independence.
- Read through the Bill of Rights and discuss why they think our founding fathers thought these rights were important. Develop a Bill of Rights for your home.
- Learn about voting rights and make a pretend voter’s registration card.
- Discuss immigration. Trace your family tree.
- Sing patriotic songs together. Write down the lyrics and discuss what they mean. Write your own patriotic song.
- Learn what the words to the the Pledge of Allegiance mean.
- Write a thank you card to a soldier.
Post a Comment